Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How am I doing?


This is the first day of my first blog.  Aw. 




My objective for subjecting friends, family and utter strangers to my deepest (and sometimes probably not so deep) thoughts?  Haven't quite narrowed that one down yet.  Too many to choose from.  I'm a little conflicted on the reasons people start blogs.  It seems somewhat narcissistic but hey - if you don't toot your own horn... who will?


Ok, back to my objective.  


I am currently a senior (second year senior) at California State University, Fullerton.  My major is drawing/painting.  I will well earn my BFA this upcoming spring.  It has been an incredibly long road getting to this point, something I can go on and on and ON about but I won't bore you with the details just yet.  Instead I will provide you with a brief synopsis (redundant?) of the last 5 years of my life:

  • Returned to college at the age of 37 and MANY years off school
  • Separated from my husband after 14 years of marriage
  • Moved
  • Earned my first college degree - an AA but hey, it's a degree
  • Moved
  • Got divorced from my husband and my savings account
  • Moved
  • Found the love of my life
All this while somewhat successfully raising two adorable boys, going to school full-time and, up until last year, working a job that started at 5:00 a.m.   Yes, A.M.


With graduation looming I am wondering... what now?  My original intent was to go on to grad school, earn my MFA and find a teaching job.  This remains the plan but with a few tweaks.  I never had much - or really any - desire to be an exhibiting artist or to attempt to make a living selling my art.  It just seemed so far fetched.  Might as well become an actress.  However, I've had a change of heart.  I do want my work seen and shown and hopefully bought.  I do want to be a member of the "art community" - once I figure out what/where that is (if you know, please share....)  I do want to attend grad school and pursue a teaching job (provided there will be any.)   My current biggest hurdle?  How does one go about becoming a professional artist?


THIS, my friend, is objective #1.


It is really odd.  You go to art school, learn how to make art  i.e. color, composition, technique, content.  You work your ass off, drain your wallet and finally get a degree that guarantees you... drumroll please.... nothing.  Big fat nothing.  It's all up to you and your level of motivation to make something happen.  I guess that is the case for anyone graduating college, it just seems artists have a higher mountain to climb.  Maybe I feel that way because this is my reality.


Anyhow, I am on a mission to become armed with knowledge of what I'm getting into and how to successfully navigate myself though the professional art world.  I am currently working with two of my professors to figure out how to obtain this information.  When I find something worthwhile, I will post that information on this blog.  I'm hoping this information - in addition to benefitting me - will help others who are in a similar position.  I welcome anyone who has already been down this road to please shed some additional light on these issues.  I know I would appreciate it!


Ok, this has been long enough.  I am currently focusing my research on the gallery/artist relationship and grant information.  Oh, if you're wondering about the cockroach, it's related to a series of drawings I'm working on.  Maybe I'll explain it next time...


  





No comments:

Post a Comment